Today, if you’re like us, you’re in need of a post feasting hike to give your minds and bodies a little TLC to prepare for the next few weeks of Holiday grind. We’re thankful to be living in the Bay Area where nature is abundant and respite is easily found within a short drive.
If you’re ever in the Bay Area here’s a list of our favorite destinations for a 1-day, mini road trip for a good hike and amazing coastal views.
Today’s main attraction: The Marin Headlands
Just a short drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and you get to the Marin Headlands, a hilly peninsula that offers the best view of the Bay.
Once you get there, you have the option of driving to quickly get to all the attraction points or you can park your car and walk/hike around. We prefer to do a bit of both.
1. Hawk Hill: Before descending Conzelman Road, take a short hike to Hawk Hill. There, you’ll see everything: remains of an artillery installation, the Golden Gate Bridge, Mt. Tamalpais and the city!
2. Conzelman Road: The most exciting part of this road is where it becomes a steep, winding, descending one-way road that makes you feel like you’re driving straight into the Pacific Ocean. But fear not, it’ll only lead you to all that the Headlands have to offer.
3. Black Sands Beach: Everybody bangs on about Rodeo Beach (and we can see why) but give this one a try. You’ll have to hike down the hills to get to it but it is so worth it. Quaint, serene, picturesque. It’s a great place to rest before hiking back up and continue further into the drive.
Tip: park your car at the Upper Fisherman’s parking lot before hiking down
4. Point Bonita Lighthouse: we suggest checking the opening hours on this one but even when it’s not open, the view you get during your walk from the nearest parking lot to the tunnel that leads to the lighthouse is worth the mention.
5. Vista Point: you know those pictures of people with the Golden Gate Bridge up close behind them? They probably took it here. On your way out of the Headlands, stop here to get your golden shot.
We hope you can use this itinerary whenever you need a short escape, not just during these pre-holiday times. We know we will.
Until next time!